MMO2707 - Post-medieval quarry south of Tivington (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The earthwork remains of a relict quarry can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s, to the south of Tivington, centred on circa SS 9333 4493. The pit is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated as Old Quarry, indicating that this quarry had ceased operation by 1889 and supporting an interpretation of a probable post-medieval date. The remains measure approximately 31 metres in diameter, but the pit appears to have been slightly levelled by ploughing by the 1950s. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 58/2665 (F21) 0078-9 (8 January 1959).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32440 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9333 4493 (36m by 43m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482812 (Original Monarch entry: 1482812)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW170
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482812
Record last edited
Aug 12 2020 10:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.