MMO2706 - Post-medieval quarry north of Tivington Knowle (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The earthwork remains of a large relict quarry can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s, to the north of Tivington Knowle, centred on circa SS 9335 4474. The extensive earthworks are irregularly shaped and probably incorporate the remains of several phases of extraction. In total the earthworks are over 100 metres in length and 30 wide. They are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated as Old Quarry, indicating that this pit had ceased operation by 1889 and supporting an interpretation of a probable post-medieval date. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 58/2665 (F21) 0078-9 (8 January 1959).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32441 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9334 4475 (128m by 101m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482811 (Original Monarch entry: 1482811)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW169
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482811
Record last edited
Aug 12 2020 11:01AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.