MMO2694 - Early 20th Century quarry north of Wootton Courtenay (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a quarry pit of probable post medieval or early 20th Century date are visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork circa 400 metres to the north of Wootton Courtenay, at circa SS 9354 4387. There is no quarry annotated on the 1st or 2nd Editions of the Ordnance Survey map, the pit first depicted in this location is on the 1930 1:10560 Edition. This supports the interpretation that the quarry is of an early 20th Century date, although it may have been created earlier and not recorded. The function of the quarry is unclear from the aerial photographs alone. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3181-2 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1930, 1:10560.
- <5>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32449 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9354 4387 (37m by 37m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482763 (Original Monarch entry: 1482763)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW157
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482763
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 4:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.