MMO2692 - Post-medieval quarry at Ranscombe Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred on circa SS 9480 4378, on Wootton Common. There is no quarry annotated in this location on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889. Several smaller quarries are annotated in the area, which may support an interpretation that this feature was excavated following the creation of the map, possibly in the 20th Century date. The entirety of Wootton Common is now covered in coniferous plantation. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4244-5 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32451 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9480 4379 (26m by 31m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482635 (Pastscape entry: 1482635)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW155
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1482635
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 10:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.