MMO2678 - Post-medieval or modern quarry east of Rex Stile Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a quarry of probable post-medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the east of Rex Stile Head, at circa SS 9068 4254. The pit is irregular in shape, roughly 25 metres long north to south and 10 metres wide. The purpose of the pit is unclear. It is not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, which might support the interpretation that it was excavated after this date. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS/70381 036-7 (23 September 1970).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: Hegarty, C.. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #43069 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1482569, Extant 24 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9068 4254 (15m by 29m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482569 (Original Monarch entry: 1482569)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW141
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1482569
Record last edited
May 24 2022 5:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.