MMO2663 - Post-medieval field boundary and plantation enclosure on Stile Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A field boundary and plantation enclosure of possible post-medieval or early 20th Century date are visible as earthworks on Stile Down, to the northeast of Elseworthy, centred approximately on SS 9322 4170. The field boundary is visible for only 75 metres among the course vegetation on Stile Down, but its curvilinear shape is similar to those visible to the south at Elseworthy, and it may be evidence for a phase of abandoned enclosure associated with that farm. The plantation enclosure is a scalene triangle in shape, with sides measuring 80, 65 and 49 metres in length. It is not marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1889, but is on the 1903 map. It is therefore likely to be late 19th or early 20th Century in date. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3200-1 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <4>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32468 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9319 4170 (183m by 88m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482483 (Original Monarch entry: 1482483)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW126
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482483
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 10:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.