MMO2650 - Natural feature west of Frackford Bridge (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A leat or watercourse is visible on aerial photographs connecting the artificial watercourse north of the A396 and depicted on the 1:10000 Ordnance Survey map to the River Avill. The leat leads northwards from the road, before turning east towards the river. At the eastern end, the sluice is shown turning north again to join the river, but at approximately SS 9834 4327, the alternive leat continues east and connects to the River Avill slightly earlier. It is not clear if the alternative course was deliberately constructed or whether it formed as a result of flooding or overflow. Like the extant leat, it presumably dates to the post-medieval period. [1-3] This appears to be the original course of the River Avill, as depicted on the Tithe Map for Dunster.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3018-19 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10,000 / 2008.
- <3>XY SMO7570 Archive: Toms, K.. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #32497 ]
- <4> SEM8089 Map: 1842. Dunster Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1480357, Extant 23 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9834 4328 (53m by 21m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1480357 (Original Monarch entry)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE196
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1480357
Record last edited
May 23 2022 11:01AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.