MMO2646 - Medieval or post-medieval rectangular enclosure west of Rowe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible medieval or post-medieval rectangular enclosure is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork bank in a field west of Rowe Farm, Dunster. Centred at SS 9813 4441 on the slopes of a north facing hill, the rectangular enclosure is defined by a spread bank, measuring up to 4 to 5 metres wide. The enclosure itself measures 78 metres long by 70 metres wide. Part of the bank is visible as a field boundary on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting it was still use at this time. The enclosure appears to have been sited within the extant field, and was perhaps used as a stock pen. It was presumably removed during the 19th or 20th Century to create a larger area for grazing. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4107-08 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #32500 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9815 4442 (71m by 147m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1480331 (Original Monarch entry: 1480331)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW286
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1480331
Record last edited
Mar 15 2021 4:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.