MMO2631 - Post-medieval quarry on Winaway (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small circular pit is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on Winaway, Exmoor, south of Ruckham Combe. Centred at SS 7204 4324, the pit is almost perfectly circular, measuring approximately 6 metres across. It most likely represents the remains of a small post medieval quarry; however, this area is not depicted on the first or second edition Ordnance Survay maps, and it is therefore difficult to estimate when the quarry was opened and abandoned. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3225-26 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #40488 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7204 4324 (8m by 8m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1480124 (Original Monarch entry: 1480124)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW273
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1480124
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 11:10AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.