MMO2626 - Possible medieval or post-medieval track or hollow way northwest of Higher Kitswall Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible medieval or post-medieval track or hollow way is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork, apparently connecting Higher Kitswall Farm, Dunster and Kitswall Farm, Timberscombe. Centred at approximately SS 9713 4254 and running approximately north to south for 125 metres, the track follows the route of the Civil Parish Boundary between Dunster and Timberscombe almost exactly. It measures up to 6 metres wide. A track is depicted at this location on both modern and historic maps, suggesting it remains in use to this date. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 161-62 (23 September 1970).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #32501 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9710 4257 (96m by 92m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479799 (Original Monarch entry: 1479799)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE189
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479799
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 3:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.