MMO2620 - Possible medieval trackway or hollow way south of Oway Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible medieval track or hollow way is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork in a field south of Oway Plantation, Wootton Courtenay. Centred at approximately SS 9586 4358, it runs east to west along the contours of the south facing slope, measuring some 265 metres long and up to 4.5 metres wide. The track may represent part of the original routeway through this area, connecting with the main path at its western end. There is no routeway shown at this location on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting it was abandoned prior to this date, and probably predates the plantation. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 162-63 (23 September 1970).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #32507 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9587 4355 (255m by 103m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479741 (Original Monarch entry: 1479741)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE183
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479741
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 1:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.