MMO2605 - Medieval or post-medieval pit east of Ford Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a pit, possibly a quarry of medieval or post-medieval date, are visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork roughly 400 metres to the east of Ford Farm at circa SS 9219 4013. The pit is oval in plan and roughly 13 metres long, north to south. The earthwork is not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889. However, it abuts a curvilinear field boundary of possible medieval or post-medieval origin, for which it may have been excavated. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0146-7 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32480 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9219 4013 (12m by 16m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479612 (Original Monarch entry: 1479612)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW114
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479612
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 10:49AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.