MMO2584 - Griffith's Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a large linear quarry are clearly visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on Alcombe Common, Minehead. Centred at SS 9722 4390 the quarry runs approximately north to south, measuring some 55 metres long and up to 9 metres wide. The quarry is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 and annotated "Griffith's Quarry," indicating that it was perhaps still in use at this point and presumably is post-medieval in origin. There is no indication as to what material was extracted here, although the shape of the quarry suggests that a mineral seam was being extracted. [1-3] 'Griffith's Quarry' shown on Ordnance Survey map of c.1904. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4106-07 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #39931 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9723 4391 (51m by 60m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479276 (Original Monarch entry: 1479276)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10372
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE163
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479276
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18651
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 2:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.