MMO2567 - Post-medieval water meadow south of Cowbridge Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system at Cowbridge was noted on aerial photographs.  A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks in a field south of Cowbridge Cross, Wootton Courtenay. Centred at approximately SS 9568 4288, three gutters are visible on a very gentle southeast facing slope above the River Avill. This system does not appear to be connected to any local farmyards, suggesting that this was a detached system which only distributed water to the fields and not liquid manure or other fertilisers. The field is now a cricket pitch and any traces of the water meadow have been destroyed. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [2-5]
- <1> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2665 (F22) 0075-76 (8 January 1959).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. LHL CPE.UK.1980 3197 (April 1947).
- <4> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <5>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #32531 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9569 4289 (151m by 87m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479147 (Pastscape entry: 1479147)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119596 (Pastscape entry: 1119596)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11943
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8334
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE147
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE75
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119596
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479147
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34524
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 3:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.