MMO2558 - Ring Cairn, Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Situated between two trackways on Porlock Allotment, roughly circular earthwork is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s, centred on circa SS 84184423. The earthwork is visible as a mutilated mound or a low bank approximately 6 metres in diameter, surrounding a central depression or dip 3 to 4 metres across. It may be the remains of a ring cairn of Bronze Age date. It is not clearly visible on later aerial photographs but differential vegetation growth on aerial photographs of 1972 may indicate the presence of an earthwork in this location. (1-3)
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4085-6. 11/07/1946.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 261-2. 16/08/1972.
- <3> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8418 4422 (11m by 11m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478594 (Pastscape entry: 1478594)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1478594
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.