MMO2556 - Possible Bronze Age round barrow on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A mound may be visible on aerial photographs of 1946 as an earthwork on Porlock Allotment, centred on circa SS 8417 4398. The earthwork is circular and approximately 13 metres in diameter. It may be the remains of a round barrow of Bronze Age date. It is not clearly visible on aerial photographs taken in later years and it must be considered possible that the apparent earthwork is non-archaeological in origin. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4085-6 (11 July 1946).
- <2>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #39013 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478590, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8417 4398 (21m by 20m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478590 (Pastscape entry: 1478590)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW305
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478590
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 4:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.