MMO2549 - World War Two military training site at Deer Park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Evidence of military training of Second World War date at Deer Park, Oare parish, is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s. The evidence takes the form small rectangular and v shaped slit trenches up to 4 metres long and 1 wide, over an area of approximately 8 hectares, centred approximately on SS 80024483. The function of any of the slit trenches and the nature of the training activities which occurred here remain unclear. These features are scattered between areas of dense concentrations of craters probably associated with the firing ranges to the east, and are difficult to differentiate from crater earthworks. However they are unlikely to be related to the activities of Exmoor firing range. A second area of very similar features, probably part of the same training area, is visible approximately 400 metres to the south. The trenches cannot be seen on aerial photographs taken later than the 1940s, and probable have either been levelled or are obscured by vegetation. [1-2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4078-9 (11 July 1946).
- <2>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32563 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478543, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7991 4478 (397m by 308m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478543 (Pastscape entry: 1478543)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW298
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478543
Record last edited
Jun 9 2021 2:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.