MMO2541 - Post-medieval peat cutting northwest of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Evidence of small scale peat cutting can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards approximately 600 metres to the northwest of Larkbarrow Farm, centred on circa SS 8159 4336. The visible pits are rectilinear in plan, very narrow at circa 2 metres wide and up to 35 metres long. Due to the difficult nature of the evidence, which can vary in appearance on aerial photographs from year to year, the transcription attempts only to convey the general area and character of the visible excavations and should be taken only as indicative of the extent of individual pits. In addition the ground surface around the cuttings is also peppered with craters of Second World War date, further obscuring these remains, but it appears disturbed and is probable further shallow cuttings are present. The heyday of peat cutting on Exmoor was in the first half of the 19th Century, although cutting probably took place on a smaller scale from the medieval period well into the 20th Century. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 4016-7 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 72, 232-3.
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38920 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478409, Extant 19 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8158 4336 (106m by 61m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478409 (Pastscape entry: 1478409)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW290
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478409
Record last edited
Jul 19 2021 10:12AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.