MMO2506 - Peat Cutting, Alderman's Barrow Allotments (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small area of possible peat cutting of probable nineteenth century date can be seen as very regular pits within an area of disturbed ground on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. The pits are centred on circa SS 84034242 at the head of Chetsford Water combe, to the west of Aldermans Barrow Allotment. Poorly defined but largely rectilinear in shape, the visible features range up to 10 metres in size. In total, this area of possible cuttings covers circa 0.3 hectares of common land. A more extensive and possibly older area of cuttings can be seen approximately 250 metres to the south-west. Due to the difficult nature of the evidence which can vary in appearance on aerial photographs from year to year, the transcription attempts only to convey the general character and area of the cuttings, and should not be taken as a definitive record of the extent the pits. Peat cutting has probably taken place on Exmoor from the medieval period onwards, but its heyday was probably in the first half of the nineteenth century, although small scale cutting probably continued well into the twentieth century. (1-3) A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4066-7. 13/05/1946.
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. p 72, 232.3.
- <3> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8402 4242 (83m by 60m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478013 (Pastscape entry: 1478013)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1478013
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 2:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.