MMO2497 - 19th Century drainage system on Swap Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Post-medieval ditches are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs forming a small drainage system of across the north facing slopes of Swap Hill, Exmoor parish, at circa SS 8169 4237. The ditches were most likely cut as part of the Knight family's efforts to improve the pasture and were probably associated with the construction of Larkbarrow Farm around 1850. Many miles of drainage ditches were cut across parts of Exmoor, but did not address the underlying issue of compacted ironpan soils and failed to provide adequate drainage for improvement. These drains have previously been misrecorded by as part of the Larkbarrow field gutter water meadow immediately to the north. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 3195-6 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA JAS 85041 098-9 (29 August 1985).
- <3> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. 32-3.
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #43440 ]
- <5> SEM8493 Report: Riley, H.. 2017. Agricultural Reclamation at Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor. Exmoor Mires Partnership ELB17 Project Report.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477946, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8172 4237 (115m by 151m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477946 (Pastscape entry: 1477946)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW246
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477946
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 11:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.