MMO2485 - Iron Age or Romano-British cropmark enclosure north of Bridicott Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A cropmark photographed in 1999 in fields north of Bridicott Farm, Carhampton, shows the location of a subrectangular ditched and banked enclosure, most likely dating to the Iron Age or Romano-British period. Centred at ST 0046 4201, the cropmark is visible as alternating bands of colour; darker over ditched features, with a lighter band between the two which may represent a bank. At least three sides of the enclosure are visible. The outer ditch is barely visible, but a darker band of colour measuring approximately 1.2 metres wide is visible on the south side of the enclosure. The inner ditch is more clearly defined, and can be seen on at least two, possibly three sides. It measures between 2 and 3.5 metres wide. Between the two ditches a paler band is visible, presumably caused by retarded crop growth over a buried feature. This band measures between 3 and 5.5 metres wide. In total, the visible sections of the enclosure measure 65 metres by 60 metres. On the eastern side of the enclosure there is a break in both the bank and the ditch, indicating a possible entranceway. [1-3]
- <1> SSO147 Aerial photograph: 1990. DAP SM13-15 1990 SCED. NMR ST 00471/2 (DAP 6901/13 -15) (6 July 1999).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76048 51-53 (25 June 1976).
- <3>XY SMO7559 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 04 SW. MD002176. [Mapped feature: #39921 ]
|Grid reference||ST 0042 4197 (point) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477915 (Original Monarch entry: 1477915)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12194
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 04 SW210
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1477915
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35246
Record last edited
Mar 12 2019 1:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.