MMO2481 - Possible post-medieval stock enclosure on the eastern bank of Sparcombe Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A bank defined rectilinear enclosure is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, as an earthwork on the eastern bank of Sparcombe Water at circa SS 8198 4115, approximately 500 metres to the southwest of Larkbarrow Corner. The earthwork encloses an area of roughly 0.5 hectares of rough pasture. Its function is unclear from the aerial photographs alone, but its location on the combe slope adjacent to the river may support an interpretation as a stock enclosure or sheepfold. The enclosure is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 and is therefore later 19th Century in date at the latest. It also appears to abut a very regular field boundary possibly associated with the holdings of Westermill or Castle Farm, and may therefore be contemporary with 19th Century enclosure and agricultural improvement. It has been almost completely ploughed level by 1973. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4194-5 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 942-3 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32578 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477902, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8199 4110 (66m by 105m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477902 (Pastscape entry: 1477902)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW238
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477902
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 11:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.