MMO2455 - Medieval to 20th Century peat cutting west of Wellshead Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An area of peat cutting of possible medieval to 20th Century date can be seen as numerous irregularly shaped pits and disturbed ground on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 82344125, approximately 250 metres to the south of Larkbarrow Corner. The identifiable pits vary in shape and size, but most are less than 5 metres across. It is probable that much larger but shallower pits are also to be found in this area, but due to the difficult nature of the evidence on aerial photographs, the transcription attempts only to convey the area and general character of the excavations, and should be taken only as indicative of the extent of individual pits. The heyday of peat cutting on Exmoor was probably in the first half of the 19th Century, although small scale cutting probably continued well into the 20th Century. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3068-9 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 162-3 (27 April 1964).
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38802 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477786, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8232 4126 (325m by 150m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477786 (Pastscape entry: 1477786)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW226
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477786
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 1:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.