MMO2454 - Post-medieval stock enclosure south of Larkbarrow Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A rectangular enclosure circa 70 by 25 metres in size can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s, centred on circa SS 82324132. The enclosure abuts a field boundary of probable post-medieval date at the junction of three fields approximately 150 metres to the south of Larkbarrow Corner. Although no entrances are visible on the available photographs, it may have been used in the management of livestock and to aid movement between fields. The earthwork is no longer visible on aerial photographs of 1973 and has probably been levelled by 20th Century agricultural improvements. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4195-6 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 943-4 (29 April 1973).
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32581 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477781, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8232 4133 (77m by 51m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477781 (Pastscape entry: 1477781)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW225
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477781
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 1:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.