MMO2442 - Possible Bronze Age barrow west of Greenlands Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An earthwork mound is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s, centred on circa SS 83644114, approximately 740 metres to the west of Greenlands Farm. The mound is sited at an elevation of circa 390 metres aOD, within an area of probable nineteenth century enclosure associated with Greenlands Farm, most likely formerly part of Wellshead Allotment. Slightly ovoid in shape, the mound measures almost 30 metres in diameter at its widest point. The irregular shape may indicate that the earthwork was damaged by ploughing prior to 1946, but the mound is no longer visible on aerial photographs of the 1970s and has probably been completely levelled during more recent agricultural improvements. (1-2)
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 945-6 29-APR-1973.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4197-8 13-MAY-1946.
- --- SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8364 4114 (32m by 31m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477636 (Pastscape entry: 1477636)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1477636
Record last edited
Apr 7 2020 11:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.