MMO2431 - 19th Century water meadow south of Greenlands Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A water meadow of a type known as a catchwork or field-gutter system is visible on aerial photographs as two parallel water channels or gutters to the south of Greenlands Farm, Exford parish, centred on circa SS 8441 4109. Field gutter systems are usually found on combe or hill slopes and are designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream along the slope via a series of roughly parallel channels or gutters. When irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of the March and April. The gutters at Greenlands can be seen to follow the 390 and 380 metre aOD contours for approximately 140 metres around Greenland Water head, and may have been fed from Greenland Water itself. Such irrigation systems were frequently created as part of the 19th Century enthusiasm for agricultural improvement and this example is probably associated with the enclosure of Greenlands Farm. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 971-2 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0159-160 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32595 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477525, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8442 4109 (139m by 102m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477525 (Pastscape entry: 1477525)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW204
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477525
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 4:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.