MMO2428 - Possible late prehistoric enclosure north of Swincombe Cleeve (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible bank defined enclosure is visible as a low earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1960s and 1970s, to the north of Swincombe Cleeve at circa SS 8408 4051. The bank is roughly 2 metres in width and other than a slight elongation on the southern edge, defines an almost circular enclosure of approximately 16 metres diameter and an area of just over 250 square metres. The earthworks may be the remains of a hut circle of later prehistoric date. No entrance into the enclosure can be seen but they have been almost completely levelled, probably by agricultural improvement of the pasture. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 971-2 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0159-160 (27 April 1964).
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #46519 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477484, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8408 4051 (27m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477484 (Pastscape entry: 1477484)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW201
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477484
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 4:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.