MMO2416 - Post-medieval peat cutting south of Larkbarrow Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small area of possible peat cutting is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks in an area of rough pasture centred on circa SS 82384081, approximately 650 metres to the south of Larkbarrow Corner. The cuttings are not marked on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 and 1903, at which time the surrounding area has been enclosed within large regular fields but appears to be remain pasture. Further subdivision and improvement of the wider area appears to have occurred following the publication of the 2nd Edition, at which point the area of the peat cuttings was enclosed, with a concomitant halt in improvement and possible use as a small plantation. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3068-9 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38800 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477328, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8238 4081 (62m by 29m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477328 (Pastscape entry: 1477328)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW189
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477328
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 5:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.