MMO2374 - Possible late prehistoric hut circle enclosure on Lanacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (6)
- ENCLOSED SETTLEMENT (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC (Unclassified))
- ENCLOSED SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD (Unclassified))
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC (Unclassified))
- HUT CIRCLE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD (Unclassified))
- OVAL ENCLOSURE (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC (Unclassified))
- OVAL ENCLOSURE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD (Unclassified))
A possible hut circle and enclosure are visible as a very slight earthwork on Lanacombe, south of Hoccombe Water, Exmoor. Centred at SS 7829 4293 the feature consists of an oval bank measuring 1.5 metres wide and enclosing an area measuring 35 metres across. There are indications of a break in the bank on the western side, possibly the remains of an entranceway. Within this oval enclosure, on its south-west edge, a circular bank measuring 0.8 metres wide and enclosing an area of approximately 5 metres in diameter can be seen. There is a break in this circular bank on the north-eastern side which may represent an entrance. The feature strongly resembles the hut circle enclosures visible on South Common (SS 64 SE) but is poorly preserved and invisible on photographs taken after 1952. Its location on a spur overlooking Hoccombe water and in an area of dense Bronze Age activity suggests it may be the remains of a prehistoric enclosed settlement, possibly dating to the Bronze Age or Iron Age (1).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7829 4294 (43m by 42m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1476003 (Pastscape entry: 1476003)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1476003
Record last edited
Jun 12 2015 1:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.