MMO2367 - Medieval field boundary or World War Two military earthwork on East Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A short earthwork bank is visible on aerial photographs on the northern end of East Pinford, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7988 4262, the bank runs approximately southwest to northeast and measures some 50 metres long by 2 metres wide. Its precise date and function are uncertain; it may be the remains of a field boundary associated with the medieval field system nearby on Little Toms Hill. Alternatively, although it appears to lie outside the boundary of the Exmoor firing range, it may be associated with military and World War Two training activities in the area. Further survey will be required. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3110-11 (8 November 1952).
- <2>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32956 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475982, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7988 4262 (52m by 28m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475982 (Pastscape entry: 1475982)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE216
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475982
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 4:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.