MMO2363 - Possible late prehistoric enclosure on Lanacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- ENCLOSED SETTLEMENT (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC (Unclassified))
- ENCLOSED SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD (Unclassified))
- ENCLOSURE (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC (Unclassified))
- ENCLOSURE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD (Unclassified))
- DITCHED ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
An unusual ditched enclosure is visible on aerial photographs as a very slight earthwork on the north eastern edge of Lanacombe, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7846 4318, the enclosure is U-shaped, and open at the northern end. It measures approximately 75 metres long by 80 metres wide, and there is no visible entranceway. Its precise date and function are uncertain but its location, on a prominent spur overlooking Hoccombe Water may indicate a prehistoric orgin, and the feature may well be the remains of a late Bronze Age or Iron Age enclosed settlement. Several other enclosures and settlements are visible on the opposite side of Hoccombe Water on Hoccombe Hill. (1).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7845 4319 (123m by 112m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475959 (Pastscape entry: 1475959)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475959
Record last edited
Jun 12 2015 1:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.