MMO2362 - Medieval trackway south of Little Toms Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A medieval trackway or holloway is visible on aerial photographs on moorland south of Little Toms Hill, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7995 4337, the hollow way curves round from west to south, and measures approximately 210 metres long by up to 20 metres wide. It appears to split into two just before turning to the south, with one branch continuing east for 40 metres before fading from view. The hollow way lies within an area of medieval field boundaries (see MMO181) and is most likely part of this system. A modern path depicted on the Ordnance Survey map may follow the route of the hollow way in places, although here the path and hollow way are clearly separate. [1-3] The information cited above suggests this monument is within a medieval field system (MMO181); however, further examination of this latter site has provided evidence to suggest it may be prehistoric or Romano-British in date and has little direct association with the routeway.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3110-11 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32960 ]
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 22 July 2007.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475955, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7989 4334 (193m by 116m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475955 (Original Monarch entry: 1475955)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE211
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475955
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 4:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.