MMO2348 - Post-medieval water meadow south of Duredon Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval leat or field gutter is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork in a field south of Duredon Farm, Exmoor. Beginning at approximately SS 7558 4011, the gutter runs approximately north to south for approximately 10 metres, before connecting with a gutter running approximately east to west. This horizontal gutter measures approximately 160 metres long. It seems likely that the gutters were part of an integrated water meadow system at Duredon Farm, which transported water and manure from the farmyard to the field, in order to encourage early growth in spring and prevent freezing in winter. Duredon Farm was constructed by the Knight family during the mid 19th Century; an agent employed by the family was known as an expert in irrigation and water meadows, and it seems likely that the system at Duredon was constructed around the same time. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 069-70 (12 March 1995).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. p 55.
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. pp 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32973 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475792, Extant 14 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7563 4010 (159m by 48m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475792 (Pastscape entry: 1475792)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE197
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475792
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 10:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.