MMO2347 - Post-medieval contour leats on Dure Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A pair of post-medieval contour leats or drainage ditches and associated gutters are visible on Dure Down, Exmoor. The leats run parallel to the Pinkery Canal, and may have performed a similar function. Centred at approximately SS 7525 4124, the northernmost leat follows the course of the 460 metre contour line, while the southernmost follows the course of the 450 metre line. At the northwestern edge of Dure Down, two ditches apparently connecting the leats are visible, and a third ditch running east to west from the summit of Dure Down connects with the northernmost leat. The leats most likely date to the mid 19th Century and the land improvement activities conducted by the Knight family in this area. Pinkery Canal is believed to have been constructed in 1833, and it is likely that these two leats date to the same period. The gutters at the northwesten edge are more confused, having been cut by paths, but appear to have been designed to channel water into a nearby stream. [1-3] The stream mentioned by  appears to be the head of the River Exe.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 071-72 (12 March 1995).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. PP 32-33.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32975 ]
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 6 October 2020.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475775, Extant 14 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7542 4122 (649m by 586m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475775 (Pastscape entry: 1475775)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE196
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475775
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 10:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.