MMO2345 - Post-medieval contour leats on the Exe Plain (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A number of post-medieval contour leats or gutters are visible on aerial photographs following the contours of Exe Plain above Farley Water, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7581 4235, approximately seven gutters are visible, varying in length from less than 100 metres to 500 metres and covering an area of approximately 23 hectares. While they appear to drain into Farley Water, their precise function is uncertain, although they may be related to land improvement activities by the Knight family during the mid 19th Century. According to Orwin, many miles of drainage ditches were cut across Exmoor, particularly Lanacombe, The Chains and Exe Plain, but failed to provide adequate drainage for the land to be enclosed. Other similar drains and leats are visible to the south and east. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F65) 171-72 (27 April 1967).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 873-74 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. PP 32-33.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32976 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475773, Extant 14 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7584 4249 (753m by 693m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475773 (Pastscape entry: 1475773)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE194
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475773
Record last edited
Jun 14 2021 10:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.