MMO2337 - 19th Century stone quarries north of Duredon Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A pair of post-medieval quarries or extractive pits are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks immediately north of Duredon Farm, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7563 4062 adjacent to the post-medieval field boundary north of Duredon Farm, the larger and more northerly quarry (SS 7564 4066) measures approximately 24 metres long and up to 15 metres wide. The ground surrounding the quarry is somewhat uneven, possibly representing spoil dumping. The smaller quarry, at SS 7563 4059, is more circular and measures approximately 15 metres in diameter. Within the central depression, two additional, smaller cuts are visible, suggesting this quarry was either reworked or that a seam was exploited here. Neither of the quarries are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting they were abandoned some time prior to publication. Duredon Farm was one of the earliest built by the Knight family, and was completed and let in 1848. It seems likely that the quarries date to the period between the acquisition of the former Royal Forest in 1820 and the completion of Duredon in 1848, and supplied building stone for the farm buildings and enclosures. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 069-70 (12 March 1995).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. p 21, 57-58.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32983 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475701, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7564 4062 (36m by 93m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475701 (Pastscape entry: 1475701)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE186
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475701
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 12:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.