MMO2333 - 19th Century pond on Dure Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A large pond is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on Dure Down, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7554 4088 and measuring some 45 metres long it appears to be closely associated with a section of the Pinkery Canal, and may in fact be part of it. A stream runs from the pond downslope towards Tangs Bottom, indicating that the pond may have functioned as part of a water power system. The 1st Cdition Ordnance Survey map shows the pond as a separate structure, surrounding the end of Pinkery Canal. However, Pinkery Canal continues to the east, and is not depicted on the 1889 map, suggesting that either the full extent of the canal was not mapped or that it was still under construction at this time. Further survey will be required to establish the precise relationship between the two monuments, but it appears that the pond, like the canal, is most likely related to 19th Century drainage activities in this area. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 987-88 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32986 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475600, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7555 4088 (41m by 44m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475600 (Pastscape entry: 1475600)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE182
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475600
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 1:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.