MMO2321 - Post-medieval quarry above Ashcombe Bottom (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A post medieval quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork cut into the north west facing slope above Ashcombe Bottom, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7732 4035 the quarry measures approximately 28 metres across, and is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, and annotated "old quarry" suggesting it was abandoned prior to this date. It is not clear what material was extracted here, but several other old quarries are depicted nearby on the 1889 map (1-2). The quarry is visible on 2021 MasterMap data, but is not labelled. 
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4153-54 11-APR-1947.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <4> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7732 4036 (36m by 36m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475579 (Pastscape entry: 1475579)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475579
Record last edited
Mar 18 2021 5:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.