MMO2315 - Medieval or post-medieval quarry north of Lanacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small medieval or post-medieval quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork south of Hoccombe Water, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7805 4331 and cut into the south facing slopes above Hoccombe Water, the quarry measures 7.5 metres across at its widest point. It is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1891, suggesting it was abandoned prior to this date. There is no indication as to what material was extracted at this site, but other quarries are visible to the west. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3071-72 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38770 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475533, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7805 4330 (10m by 9m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475533 (Pastscape entry: 1475533)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE164
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475533
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 3:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.