MMO2301 - Later prehistoric or Roman field boundaries on Kitnor Heath (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Three linear earthworks are visible on aerial photographs on Kitnor Heath to the south of the River Quarme. Centred on circa SS 8713 4002 and SS 8754 3998, the earthworks are on a similar alignment to, and may be an extension of, the extensive later prehistoric or Roman field system to the north of the Quarme on Codsend Moors. The western possible boundary is over 200 metres in length and up to 9 metres wide. The eastern boundaries are more fragmentary in appearance and are clearly visible for approximately 45 and 75 metres, but may continue to the southwest and northeast. It is possible that these features are simply the remains of trackways down the Quarme valley, possibly of medieval date, but their potential association with the Codsend Moors field system merits further investigation. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 F20 4306-7 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA 2246-7 (20 April 1982).
- <3>XY SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185. [Mapped features: #47820 ; #47821 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1473595, Extant 26 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8730 4001 (545m by 119m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473595 (Original Monarch entry: 1473595)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE179
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1473595
Record last edited
Jan 26 2022 3:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.