MMO2299 - Possible routeway through Horner Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible linear earthwork feature is visible on aerial photographs through the trees of Horner Wood at Rowbarrow, Luccombe parish. The feature can be seen to follow the contours of the combe for almost 700 metres from circa SS 8880 4401 to circa SS 8827 4432, on a course roughly parallel to Horner water. The date and function of the feature are unknown, but it may simply be the line of a former road or route through Horner Wood. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 F20 4235-6 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 254-5 (16 August 1972).
- <3> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8854 4416 (548m by 328m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473580 (Original Monarch entry: 1473580)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE177
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1473580
Record last edited
Sep 4 2014 12:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.