MMO2284 - Possible Bronze Age barrows or clearance cairns above East Water Valley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Four mounds are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the lower slopes of Dunkery Hill above East Water Valley. The mounds are arranged in a north to south orientated row, spaced between 45 and 65 metres apart, ascending Dunkery Hill from an elevation of circa 300 metres to about 340 metres above Ordnance Datum. The three northernmost mounds measure between 18 and 23 metres in diameter, their shapes ranging from roughly circular to oval or oblong, and may be the remains of mutilated round barrows of Bronze Age date. They are located at circa SS 8951 4277, SS 8950 4271 and SS 8953 4267. At 7 metres in diameter the fourth mound is by far the smallest in this group and may be the remains of a clearance cairn, also potentially of prehistoric date. Alternatively, all four mounds may simply be natural geological outcrops created from banding within the underlying sandstone and field investigation is required to confirm or disprove their interpretation as archaeological features. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 F20 3206-7 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 847-8 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 260-1 (17 April 1979).
- <4>XY SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185. [Mapped features: #41641 Possible clearance cairn, ; #41642 Possible barrow, ; #41643 Possible barrow, ; #41644 Possible barrow, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8952 4269 (54m by 186m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473479 (Original Monarch entry: 1473479)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE162
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1473479
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 2:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.