MMO2280 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries at Sweetworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two field boundaries or boundary banks of medieval or possibly post-medieval date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of Sweetworthy, Luccombe parish. The northernmost bank, centred on circa SS 8887 4275, is sinuous in course as it roughly follows the contours of the hill for approximately 500 metres. The shorter southern bank, centred on circa SS 8894 4256, is approximately 170 metres in length and defines the southern extent of the enclosed area, almost six hectares, of north facing slope above East Water. The enclosed area is immediately to the north of the deserted medieval settlement (MSO7346) with which it may be associated, and the earthworks appear to abut, or at least be aligned upon, the largest prehistoric enclosure at Sweetworthy (MSO7333). Evidence for post medieval agricultural improvement of the enclosed pasture may be visible as narrow ridge and furrow running west to east along the contours, on a similar alignment to the southern earthwork bank, but this may simply be an effect of soil slip on the gentle slopes and has not been transcribed. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 259-260 (17 April 1979).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8842/43 (23826/28) (19 February 2005).
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8842/36-8 23831/22-4 (19 February 2005).
- <4> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8893 4265 (361m by 216m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473440 (Original Monarch entry: 1473440)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE158
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1473440
Record last edited
Sep 3 2014 1:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.