MMO2253 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries south of Dunkery Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Two or three phases of bank defined field boundary, all possibly of medieval or post-medieval origin, are visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks centred on circa SS 8976 4027, to the south of Dunkery Bridge, Cutcombe parish. On photographs of 1962 the cropmarks define a possible rectilinear field or enclosure at circa SS 8972 4036, approached from the north and south by a bank defined trackway or road 8 to 10 metres wide. At approximately SS 8978 4024 this routeway either abuts or is crossed by a second, southwest to northeast aligned curvilinear field boundary. This section of cropmark is about 175 metres long, but the line of the boundary appears to predate the road to Blagdon Cross as it can be seen to continue on the western side of the road for circa 85 metres to circa SS 8961 4015 where it abuts a 65 metre section of yet another, north to south orientated boundary. A final boundary can be seen as a low earthwork centred on circa SS 8977 4029 on aerial photographs of 1976, but curving to the northwest, unlike the longer boundary to the south. Originating close to the longer southern boundary at circa SS 8982 4034, the earthwork crosses the path of the possible road and terminates at approximately the same point that it is cut by the Blagdon Cross road. This sinuous boundary is visible only to the east of the Blagdon Cross road and may postdate the cutting of the road, but possibly reused the already established origin and terminus of the earlier boundary. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/5159 F21 0228-9 (14 June 1962).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 F63 150-1 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76067 170 (4 August 1976).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4269-70 (11 April 1947).
- <5> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8975 4029 (305m by 333m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473060 (Original Monarch entry: 1473060)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE131
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1473060
Record last edited
Sep 2 2014 4:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.