MMO2251 - Possible clearance cairns on Codsend Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Two small mounds are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on the enclosed slopes of Codsend Moors, circa 850 metres to the south of Dunkery Beacon at circa SS 8906 4074 and SS 8911 4075. The mounds are roughly circular in shape with diameters of 12 metres and 10 metres respectively. The northern edge of the westernmost mound appears slightly eroded by the passage of a modern footpath. They are located in a small field enclosed during the post-medieval period and visible are as low earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1970s. On the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 and 1903, this area is depicted as unimproved rough ground or pasture. The earthworks therefore probably predate the post-medieval enclosure of Codsend Moors and probably survived as the field in which they can be found was not subject to agricultural improvement until the twentieth century. It is possible the mounds are funerary mounds or barrows of Bronze Age date, but it is the opinion of this authority that an interpretation as clearance cairns associated with a medieval or a prehistoric attempt at improving the moors is more likely. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79014 057-8 (17 April 1979).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <4> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8909 4075 (61m by 22m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1473018 (Original Monarch entry: 1473018)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE129
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1473018
Record last edited
Sep 2 2014 3:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.