MMO2234 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (6)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Unclassified))
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Unclassified))
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Unclassified))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- None recorded
A pair of medieval or post medieval field boundaries apparently forming the corner of a rectangular enclosure are visible as earthworks in a field west of North Regis Common, Challacombe. Located at approximately SS 7055 4142, the enclosure measures 70 metres by 50 metres, and is cut by the modern track shown on the modern Ordnance Survey map at SS 7054 4142. Part of the boundary is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned shortly before publication in 1890. The size and position of the enclosure suggest it may represent the remains of a livestock pen or sheepfold. (1-2).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7055 4144 (71m by 80m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1472279 (Pastscape entry: 1472279)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1472279
Record last edited
Jan 7 2011 8:55AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.