MMO2232 - Post-medieval quarry southwest of Old Close Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A post-medieval quarry and associated spoil heaps are visible on aerial photographs southwest of Old Close Quarry, Challacombe. Located at SS 7001 4063 the pit measures approximately 70 metres across. Two mounds are visible within the pit, measuring 9 and 12 metres across. These appear to be spoil heaps assocciated with the quarrying, but they may also represent areas that were not quarried for some reason. The feature is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned prior to publication in 1890. It is not clear from the aerial photography what material was being mined in this area, but building stone would seem to be the most likely material. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 004-005 (12 March 1995).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32873 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7000 4064 (76m by 38m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1472272 (Pastscape entry: 1472272)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW263
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1472272
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 11:13AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.