MMO2224 - Possible medieval or post medieval lynchet and field boundary, south of North Regis Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (6)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Unclassified))
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- LYNCHET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Unclassified))
- LYNCHET (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Unclassified))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- None recorded
A possible medieval or post medieval lynchet and field boundary are visible on aerial photographs in fields south of North Regis Common and North Lane, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 7125 4105, the lynchet runs approximately east-west for some 470 metres, following the contours of the slope and measuring approximately 5 metres wide. The lynchet is similar in size and form to a cropmark visible to the north (see NMR UID 1471231) and is possibly related to the strip lynchets visible in and around Challacombe. The smaller bank, at SS 7115 4108 may be either a field boundary or a smaller lynchet. It too runs east west, and measures 115 metres long by 2 metres wide. It lies on a slightly different alignment to the lynchet however, which indicates it is more likely to be a field boundary. The area is shown as moorland on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that both features predate publication in 1890 (1-2).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7126 4104 (480m by 98m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471306 (Pastscape entry: 1471306)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471306
Record last edited
Jul 26 2018 4:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.