MMO2222 - Undated bank on western side of Exe Plain (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A section of bank is visible on aerial photographs  as an earthwork on moorland on the western side of Exe Plain. Located at SS 7476 4217 on an extremely steep west facing slope above an unnamed tributary of Hoaroak Water, the bank measures 15 metres long. It runs approximately northeast to southwest, curving slightly to the northwest. The feature is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map  as a platform, but its precise function remains uncertain. It may be a natural feature. (3)
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3124-25 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #38845 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7477 4217 (18m by 9m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471273 (Pastscape entry: 1471273)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW253
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471273
Record last edited
Oct 6 2020 12:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.