MMO2213 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A pair of 19th century parallel drains are visible on aerial photographs north west of The Chains Barrow, Exmoor Parish. Beginning at SS 7326 4218, the drains run south-south-west for approximately 360 metres, disappearing from view at SS 7313 4186. They appear to be a continuation of the extant parallel drains visible to the north and shown on the modern Ordnance Survey map. The majority of the drainage in this area was originally constructed by the Knight Family in the mid 19th century in an attempt to enclose the moor, and it seems likely that these drains were also constructed at this point, but abandoned shortly afterwards. Part of these drains are depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that they were already in decline by the time the map was published in 1890 (1-3).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Exmoor National Park Authority IRFC 5804-05 XX-XXX-1983.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10000 2004.
- --- SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7320 4202 (160m by 344m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471226 (Pastscape entry: 1471226)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471226
Record last edited
Mar 21 2018 1:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.